Scraping off the white paint and repainting with original colors of grey, cream and red, 2010. Photo: DC
Former Rectory

The rectory was built in 1896, fourteen years before the dedication of the former church of Notre-Dame du Mont-Carmel. Commissioned by Father Gingras, it formed one of the arms of a cross design (the former convent being the other arm), while the church formed the body.

Don Cyr, director of the Musée culturel du Mont-Carmel, bought the rectory as a private residence from the parish in 1978. Before Cyr’s acquisition, the rectory was used as a school for the mentally challenged for a few years. It had been extensively modernized (painted, carpeted, rooms subdivided) and brought up to code. Cyr’s restoration included removing the walls that had been added (returning the number to its original 14 from 18), removing wallpaper, carpets and linoleum.

In most cases wallpaper covered the original painted plaster walls. Original moldings and woodwork were kept intact. Floors were repainted the same colors. All room colors are original and restoration has been accomplished with few minor modern adaptations, such as moving chimneys to more appropriate locations (since this was a private residence). The rectory is home to a large collection of religious artifacts and books, and furnished in period hand-made furniture from the region. Read more about the history of the parish (PDF 108 KB)

The exterior of the rectory is being scraped and painted in original colors of dark grey with a light beige trim and tile red window sashes, moldings and brackets. The rectory is a private residence not open for viewing, but eventually will be part of the museum complex.